Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Sometimes you feel like people are ganging up on you!

I have been teaching martial arts in my school for 25 years.  I have always run a tight ship, had stringent rules and had some of the best students in the martial arts.  Many of my earlier students who I treated the toughest, got the least close to personally, didn't hang out with, didn't speak to privately, or spend any time with, outside the school other or tournaments, these are the ones who ended up, the closest and still to this day stay in touch me.  They send me birthday wishes, fathers day calls and texts and emails etc.  It is an odd dynamic, when it comes to mentor-ship!  I believe people want to see you as something more then you are.  They put you in a higher position of regard or respect and also hold you to a different standard then others.   They are quick to judge you though, because they see you as something other then another human. 

This can be great and it can also be damaging as well.  For example:  Just the other day, I had a lobby chat with my families (moms & dads) in the lobby. I was very aware (cognizant) of my tones of voice and how I approached everyone and communicated. I was basically looking for feedback on my uniform rules and unprepardness of my students.  I only wanted a parents point of view of what I could do, to make sure the students are prepared for class.  Meaning, they would wear their complete uniform - no exceptions or excuses and have their necessary weapons for classes and theme of the week.   This is an ongoing dilemma in my school with people who are repeat offenders.  So I need to nip it in the bud. 

Some of the ideas that were presented to me were quite enlightening.  I think we were already doing many of the ideas and others that were presented, I thought were a little excessive.  However, I learned from it. I had to leave and teach my class, so I asked the parents to speak to our program manager and she ended up taking notes.


However, I did have one parent who thought, I was a bit disrespectful as to how I spoke to the parents.  Now, I have to be 100% honest, I wasn't upset, speaking in a negative tone or trying to rial people up. I was honestly looking for everyone's honest opinion.  I am not sure how this could have come off as being disrespectful, because that was not my intention. However, this is how I was perceived.  Since then I spoke to the person and I think we got to the bottom of it it all. 

I wonder if it is part of our environment in N.Y. and specifically the city and Long Island. Or am I just letting the few stand out in my head and not realizing that the majority of people I deal with are happy, and enjoy what we do.  I do know that I have to continually remind myself or else I won't want to get up in the morning, that life is not about how many times you get knocked down, but it is only about how many times you get back up.

In the martial arts there is a saying "fall down 9 times get up 10."  There is another quote that I loved from the movie "Batman - the dark knight."  Bruce Wayne for the first time falls into the Batcave. His dad helps him out and then asks him as he is carrying him to safety.  "why do we fall Bruce?"  Bruce doesn't answer but awaits the reply.  His dad replies confidently, "so we learn how to get up."

Well, I am an expert at getting back up, getting on track and rolling with the punches. I hope that all of you are as well. Remember the two sayings above. Enjoy your day and stay positive

No comments :

Post a Comment