Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Thanks and Gratitude - Rather then Negativity and Naivety! 


As I sat behind the desk of my martial art school yesterday, greeting all those that came through the doors to train, I had an epiphany.  Before I share with you, let me give you a little flash back of what my last 6 weeks have been like.  

About 6 weeks ago, a very major player in running my schools decided he was going to quit.  He had a large responsibility running the school and I basically gave him the reigns to help me with making the school grow, teach the students and flourish.  He did an outstanding job for many years, with minor complaints on my part.  However, one day, he walked into my office for a long awaited meeting and basically said "I am done."  I attempted to try to persuade him to change his mind, I threw out some scenario's and even asked him to think about it for a few more days. He said "I already thought about it and I am done."  He stood up, pushed in his chair and was on his way.  My good friend has always said to me "your best student can leave you tomorrow and there isn't a thing you can do about it." 

Since, then I have witnessed and interesting phenomenon.  Something that I expected, but it is always a little disheartening and frustrating.  Throughout my 25 years of running a school, there is always little struggles, making it work.  However, this time around, I saw people turn their emotions to anger, negative talk, and an attempt to persuade others to act similarly. (not all but a few)

Even though I anticipated this happening, I had wished that this time around, it would be different.  You see in a perfect world, rather then complaints of change, or of the teacher leaving, I was hoping for signs of support, and a bonding.  I had hoped that black belts and their families would step up and stand behind, rather then, knock down and complain.  Now don't get me wrong, I am actually talking about the minority of people.  Because there were those that supported and talked positively and rolled with the punches.  However, there were those, that didn't and it really was a little blow to the heart.  

In any event, this post isn't about me, or trying to gather sympathy or support.  It is more about, how I am able to fall down 9 times and get up 20.  The fact of the matter is, there is way more positive, then negative.  So I am thankful for those that are positive and live the mindset we preach at our school.  I also think that some of the people deserve forgiveness for acting this way and I believe their Negativity stems from their Naivety.  Meaning, they don't know what they don't know. They forget all the good things, because the negative overshadows the positive immediately in their mind.  


It is becoming more and more prevalent in our society to point out the negatives, rather then the positives. To draw attention to the bad news rather then the good.  For us to speak negatively, rather then positively.  We have to remind ourselves that we are in full control of our thoughts, of how we decide to look at each situation.  We need to understand, that for every negative, there are 100 positives we can look at.  

This reminds me of a story, that I had in my book "21st Century Ninjutsu - A Warriors Mindset."  I spoke one day when I was riding my bicycle to my teachers in Japan in the middle of a slushy, snowing day to train in class.  There were puddles everywhere and I was riding my bike in a slow drizzle. I was drenched when I came down the hill and a truck sprayed me with a wave of slush and water.  Dripping wet, I arrived at my teachers home and rang the bell. He answered dry, warm with a cup of hot tea.  I said "Soke, Warui Otenki Des Ne."  Meaning what a terrible day.  He looked at me puzzled and said "why do you say, such a thing?"  I explained my story and experience and how it was raining and slushy and I was drenched.  He then pointed out to his rice field and went on to tell me that he and his family pray for weather like this to fill his rice patty. Without it, there would be no rice in the spring.  He looked at the day as a blessing, while I looked at it as a negative.  I immediately shifted my perspective and smiled. 

So for every negative find the positive.  Enjoy your day - everyone.

No comments :

Post a Comment