Saturday, March 4, 2017

Thinking Out Loud! 

I often wonder what goes on in a persons head?  It is interesting when you think about that concept and ask that question, before reacting to a specific situation.  For example: this morning I was driving my significant other to the dentist.  While driving, there were a host of drivers, doing things that made me scratch my head.  One particular situation comes to mind.  There was a car in front of me and another on the side of me.  The car in front was driving medium speed so I decided to pass, by changing lanes to drive around them.  When I did so, I flicked on my blinker indicating I intended to change lanes and the car next to me. and little behind sped up.

I immediately thought what a jerk, he isn't letting me in.  So I slowed down and at that very moment they slowed down.  Rather then getting angry I thought, what is this person thinking.  But the real reality is, they probably weren't thinking at all.  I mean, thinking of me or my car!  The reality most probably was they didn't even see me or recognize me, and were just driving, as I was, to their destination.  It was purely coincidence that they sped up and slowed down.

The minute you realize that everyone thinks differently then you and that you are not always in others consciousness, the more easily you will be able to take a breath and move forward.  Just remember, don't take it personal, but maybe we are all just trying to get to where we are going.


Even though you may think, wow - that person can't drive properly.  You have to realize, that in the big picture of things, what will another five minutes of your life spent on the road really matter.  I am saddened when I read stories of road rage gone bad and people fighting, killing each other over something so silly as one passing the other, or one person being rude.  In the big picture lives get ruined from us losing our temper.  There is only one letter from Danger and Anger.  Remember, I am not saying let people walk all over you, but in the big picture, what will it matter, if you ignore the person and move on.  The answer is Nothing - the reaction most of the time is purely ego based.

My goal is to ask everyone to take a breath, smile and remember, in two days you won't even remember the incident.

One last note is - you truly never know what people are thinking. Sometimes if we live life through their eyes, we may see, why they are acting in that particular manor.  You may yell out "pay attention you moron."  When in reality that person is not thinking clearly due to a death in the family and they are overwhelmed with sorrow.  Or that person just lost their job, or is thinking about their child's graduation party that night.   Remember we live in a world filled with people and we are all flawed in some way.  Try to be compassionate at every chance you have, live your life with love and compassion and empathy.

No comments :

Post a Comment